Work to live, don’t live to work.
But when you got the money, what to do with it, and more importantly how can you make the most of it?
The following does not qualify as financial advice, and does not claim to be, just some tips that you may find helpful.
1. Get an accountant……a good one…….a specialist one for GP’s. Ask ANY GP they will all say the same.
2. Keep a record of everything, mileage, receipts, and locums. It will make life so much easier. Having a separate credit card just for work expenses can be a good tip.
3. Be organised, it helps with 2. Software like Pennyperfect or locumorganiser can be invaluable.
4. Budget, having money is good but take care of the essentials. If working as a locum save about 40% your income for that lovely tax bill!
5. Buffer: Always make sure you have savings or a buffer to fall on in case something goes wrong. More commitments you have the bigger the buffer.
6. Regarding 5 consider critical illness cover, and income protection. You would insure your car, why not yourself!
7. If working as a locum, register as self employed @ HMRC website
8. Also don’t forget to fill in your pension forms A&B, guidance can be found here, and your Form B’s must be sent off within the first 7 days of the new month.
9. If working as a salaried, compare your contract with the BMA one found here.
10. Enjoy life: making the most of what you have, no point saving if you don’t use it.